Join the Seafair team! Our exclusive program includes internships with a focus in the following areas: Operations & Production, Sales & Hospitality, Communication & Marketing, Finance, and Foundation Management. Recognizing the important part an internship plays in a student’s professional growth, our goal is to help develop the necessary skills for those who wish to excel in the event industry. Successful interns will get hands-on experience in real-life non-profit festival situations, both the glamorous and mundane.
Most importantly, our interns will be an integral part of the team that runs some of the largest festivals in the Northwest. Seafair has been delighting the city of Seattle for over 71 years - come and be a part of Creating Memories and Uniting Communities.
Volunteer & Neighborhood Relations Intern
Reports to: Director of Programs, Community and Military Relations
Seafair is seeking an intern to support the Community Relations team in all neighborhood relations aspects of the festival. The ideal candidate will be organized, outgoing and a go-getter, with a passion for events, entertainment and the beautiful city of Seattle.
- Collaborate with volunteer leadership and staff to identify volunteer positions and scheduling needs
- Actively recruit new individual and group volunteers
- Assist with outreach for the scheduling and confirmation of volunteers for event shifts
- Coordinate volunteer credential and shirt distribution
- Help manage volunteer check-in during each event
- Complete data entry and other volunteer registration procedures
- Coordinate with Sales department to fill partner activation volunteer needs
- Manage internal volunteer database and software program, including shift creation, contact information, training, and troubleshooting
- Help manage communication with all neighborhood residents and business impacted by Seafair events, including Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Seafair Summer 4th, Alaska Airlines Seafair Torchlight Parade and Torchlight Run, Swedish Seafair Triathlon, and Seafair Weekend Festival featuring the Albert Lee Appliance Cup and Boeing Seafair Air Show.
- Compile and create neighborhood mailings, email campaigns, website information, and assist with social media posts
- Research neighborhood and business associations in the impacted areas and request and present at scheduled meetings.
- Help manage the Seafair Weekend Festival neighborhood ticket program including order verification and fulfillment
- Help manage on-site Neighborhood Relations admission and information booth during Seafair weekend and the week prior
- Other office and event duties as assigned.
- Ability to deliver superior customer service under stressful conditions
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional detail and follow through of tasks
- Must work well under pressure and be able to prioritize tasks while taking direction and requests from multiple people
- Must perform in a professional manner at all times and be able to represent the organization both internally and externally.
- Working knowledge of all Microsoft Office products. Preferred knowledge of Microsoft Project and VolunteerLocal scheduling software
- Self-motivated with the ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Required to work non-traditional hours including nights and weekends as assigned
- Above all, must have a positive attitude and be a team player even on long days
- Ability to lift/carry weights of up to 40lbs
June – August – 40+hrs per week***
***Summer interns are required to work all Seafair Signature events, including:
Seafair Pirates Landing
Seafair Summer Fourth
Lucerne Seafair Milk Carton Derby presented by Safeway / Albertsons
Seafair Triathlon (expo and event)
Alaska Airlines Seafair Torchlight Parade & Torchlight Run
Seafair Fleet Week
Seafair Weekend Festival featuring the HomeStreet Bank Cup Hydroplane Racing and Boeing Air Show
- Complimentary tickets to the Seafair Torchlight Parade and Seafair Weekend (four per intern)
- Staff outings, post-event dinners, and kick-off and end of the summer parties
- Presentations by successful community leaders
- Opportunities for professional development and networking
Please send a cover letter and resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the subject line which term(s) and which position(s) you are applying for. No phone calls please.